How Do I Obtain a Library Card?
Register for a library card at the Main Library or the Mobile Library. The application takes just a few minutes to complete. You may print a copy of the application and bring the completed form to either library agency. (Online registration is not available at this time.) Biblioteca Pública de Racine Formulario de Registración
If you do not have a card on file, registration is free. If you already have a card but have lost it, the fee for replacement is one dollar.
Please note: Library cards from any library in the SHARE System will work at the Racine Public Library. Libraries included in SHARE are the following: Burlington Public Library, Graham Public Library (Union Grove), Racine Public Library, Rochester Public Library, Waterford Public Library, Kenosha Public Library, Aram Public Library (Delavan), Barrett Memorial Library (Williams Bay), Brighman Memorial Library (Sharon), Darien Public Library, East Troy Lions Public Library, Fontana Public Library, Genoa City Public Library, Lake Geneva Public Library, Matheson Memorial Library (Elkhorn), Walworth Memorial Library.
- Driver’s license issued by a state in the U.S.
- Photo ID issued by a state in the U.S.
- Federally-recognized Tribal ID
- United States Military ID Card
- United States Passport
- Matricula Consular Card issued by Mexico
Expired identification will not be accepted. If the identification does not show current address, additional proof of address showing name and residence address must be provided. RPL accepts the following to show address:
- Rent receipt
- Postcard sent from RPL
- Utility bill
- Postmarked mail from last 30 days
- Property tax receipt from City of Racine. You will need to fill out your address on the envelope we give to you, then we will mail it. This process can take a few days to receive.
- Proof through a legitimate business or service app on a digital device.
Please Note: You will be restricted to checking out only one item at a time if you have either the required identification or the address verification, but not both. Once you meet both of these requirements, this restriction will be removed.
Patrons through age 15 must have a parent or legal guardian register them to obtain a library card. The parent/guardian must provide valid identification and show proof of address.
Patrons age 16 and 17 may register without parent/guardian signature provided the patron can supply valid official identification and show proof of residency. A parent or legal guardian may
also register them to obtain a library account with the parent/guardian providing valid identification and proof of residency.
Who is Eligible for a Racine Public Library Card?
- Residents of Racine, Kenosha and Walworth, Dodge, Jefferson and Washington counties are eligible for a free card.
- Residents of all other Wisconsin counties, EXCEPT Milwaukee County, may receive a free card if they present their home library card. Residents of Milwaukee County may purchase a card for $50.
- Out of state residents who have boat slips in Racine during the spring / summer may register for a card. Proof required.
- Non-residents who own real estate in the city of Racine are eligible for a free card. Proof of ownership required.
- Teachers who live in Milwaukee County and work in Racine County may register for a card at no cost. Teacher identification required at time of registration.
Important Information About Your Library Card
- If your name, address or phone number changes contact us at 262-636-9241 to update your library card record.
- Your card is nontransferable. Only you may use it.
- You must have your library card (or driver’s license/state ID) with you to check out materials.
- If you lose your card, there is a $1 replacement fee.
- When fines exceed $5.00, borrowing privileges are suspended.
- To place a hold or obtain information about your library account, you will need your library card barcode number.