Approved January 15, 2009
The proctoring of examinations is a service offered by the Racine Public Library. The library will offer proctoring services based on the availability of personnel, facilities and technology to do so.
Students who are registered library card holders in good standing with the Racine Public Library or libraries within the Lakeshores Library System are eligible for this service.
There is a flat fee of $25 for each exam proctored. An additional $5 fee is charged if faxing is required. All fees are payable just prior to taking the exam. The library accepts cash, personal checks and credit cards.
All reference librarians, full and part-time, are able to proctor exams, as allowed by their work schedule. Tests must be scheduled with the proctor a minimum of 7 days in advance. Tests will be scheduled during the proctor’s regular work hours. Tests must be completed 15 minutes before the library closes.
- The student will allow sufficient time to take the examination before the deadline that has been established by the institution.
- The student will be required to present a valid picture I.D. at the time of the exam.
- Proctors will not monitor a student continuously during an exam, but may check on the student periodically. The Library does not guarantee that a quiet study room will be provided.
- Proctors will enforce any time limits that are placed on the exam, as well as other rules set forth in the examination materials. The use of cell phones or visiting with others is prohibited. Any perceived violation of the posted rules for the exam will be reported to the educational institution.
- Tests offered in a computer format must be compatible with the hardware and software available on the Library workstations. Tests taken over the Internet are limited to two hours in duration.
- Prior contact between the testing institution and the proctor is required so that credibility and testing requirements can be verified.
- Librarians cannot proctor exams that students bring in themselves.
- Librarians will not sign a proctoring verification that attests to more than the staff member has been able to do.
- The Racine Public Library will not be responsible for any delayed tests, nor for any completed tests once they leave the library’s possession and have been mailed back to the educational institution.
- The Library will not be responsible for tests that are interrupted by Library emergencies, power failures, or computer hardware or software failures.
- The Library reserves the right to substitute a proctor in the event of the original proctor’s absence.
Responsibilities of the test taker
- Fill out the Application for Proctoring Service form and return it to the Reference Desk at the Library. A librarian will then contact you to make an appointment to meet and to complete the necessary paperwork your school requires
- Your school may have specific requirements for proctoring. Check with the proctor to make sure the Library can meet all of the requirements.
- Call prior to your test to make sure the test or login information has arrived. The proctor does not contact you when the exam arrives.
- Provide necessary postage for mailing back the test to your school
- Arrive promptly at the agreed-upon time, prepared with the items required for taking the test. These may include picture I.D., money, pens/pencils and calculator. Only items listed in the instructions will be allowed in the test area. You are responsible for securing personal items before the test begins.
- Exams not taken by the date on which they were to be completed are either discarded or returned.