How Do I Obtain a Library Card?
Register for a library card at the Main Library or the Mobile Library. The application takes just a few minutes to complete. You may print a copy of the application (pdf) and bring the completed form to either library agency. (Online registration is not available at this time.)
Library cards are free since the library is supported by tax dollars.
You will need either
- A NON-EXPIRED driver’s license with your current address or a Wisconsin state identification card with current address.
- Passport additional proof of address needed if not listed
- Military Id additional proof of address needed if not listed
- Matricula Consular additional proof of address needed if not listed
If you have recently moved, and have not yet updated your driver’s license information/state identification, you may use the following items to verify your current address:
- utility bill
- rent receipt
- postmarked mail
- a postcard that the library will send to you.
Please Note: You will be restricted to checking out only one item at a time if you have either the required identification or the address verification, but not both. Once you meet both of these requirements, this restriction will be removed.
For children under 16, a parent or guardian must complete the application and provide identification and address verification.
Who is Eligible for a Racine Public Library Card?
Residents of Racine, Kenosha and Walworth, Dodge, Jefferson and Washington counties are eligible for a free card.
Residents of all other Wisconsin counties, EXCEPT the City of Milwaukee/Milwaukee County, may receive a free card if they present their home library card. Residents of Milwaukee/Milwaukee County may purchase a card for $50.
Nonresidents who own real estate in the city of Racine are eligible for a free card.
People who live in Milwaukee/Milwaukee County or live outside of the state of Wisconsin may purchase a card for $50.
Important Information About Your Library Card
- If your name, address or phone number changes contact us at 262-636-9241 to update your library card record.
- Your card is nontransferable. Only you may use it.
- You must have your library card (or driver’s license/state ID) with you to check out materials.
- If you lose your card, there is a $1 replacement fee.
- When fines exceed $5.00, borrowing privileges are suspended.
- To place a hold or obtain information about your library account, you will need your library card barcode number.